University of Waterloo
Who we are
The University of Waterloo is Canada’s top innovation university. With more than 36,000 students, we are home to North America’s largest co-op system. Our unmatched entrepreneurial culture, combined with an intense focus on research, powers 1 of the top innovation hubs in the world. Find out more at uwaterloo.ca/future-students.
- Canada’s most innovative university for 25 years in a row (Maclean’s magazine reputational rankings).
- More than 100 programs to choose from – many that are unique to Waterloo.
- Through Waterloo's co-op program, you have access to 6,700 employers worldwide, including companies such as the Government of Canada, Google, Microsoft, Electronic Arts, and Facebook.
- Co-op combines academic studies with paid work experience, providing up to 2 years’ paid work experience and potential total co-op earnings of $45,000 to $85,000.
- 2 years after graduating, 88% of Waterloo co-op students work in a field related to their degree compared to 75% of all Ontario university grads.
- With more than 300 start-up companies connected to the university, Waterloo is 1 of the country’s leading universities for encouraging student entrepreneurs to turn their creative ideas into businesses.
- Located 110 km west of Toronto in a clean, safe, mid-sized city.
- 300+ clubs, including Canada's oldest university LGBTQ organization
- 1 of the country's largest campus recreation programs with dozens of intramural sports, tournaments, and clubs, including soccer, ice hockey, volleyball and flag football
- Welcome Week happens at the beginning of each term to welcome students
- The Bombshelter Pub runs special events throughout the term from Beyoncé night to Trivia Thursday
- Beautiful outdoor study spots
- Popular humans vs. zombies competition every fall and winter term